top of page

Can I Sponsor My Fiancé To Canada? Question Submitted by Amy R.

Updated: Feb 12, 2022

Q. Can I sponsor my fiancé to Canada? How long can he stay and can he work while he is here with me? - Amy R.

Thank you for your question, Amy! First of all, congratulations on your engagement! This is actually a question that we receive a lot.

Can you sponsor your partner to Canada?

Does Canada Have a Fiancé Visa?

Unfortunately, no there is not a Canadian visa that is designed specifically for those wanting to bring their fiancé to the country. Canada does not have a sponsorship program that will allow you to invite your partner to live and stay on a temporary or permanent basis at this time, but don't worry, there are some other options that may work for you!

How Can I Bring My Fiancé To Canada?

As mentioned above, there are no specific visas to bring engaged partners to Canada, but there are other options to consider if you meet the eligibility requirements.

The Common Law Partner

One of the main options for bringing your fiancé to Canada is the Common Law Partner Stream. This is designed for those who have lived with their partner for at least 12 months in a row. This allows you to then sponsor your partner for permanent residency. This program is designed for authentic couples who are committed to each other and have lived together for at least 12 consecutive months (1 year). In order to be apply for this stream you will be required to prove that you are a legitimate couple by showing your combined financial records and other evidence that shows you have resided together for a year.

The Common Law Partner Stream is for both same-sex and opposite-sex relationships. The sponsor must be over 18 years of age and a Canadian permanent resident living in Canada, a Canadian citizen, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. Additionally, you must show that you have the finances to cover your partner if needs be. You will find additional eligibility requirements for a sponsorship application here.

Conjugal Partner Sponsorship

This scheme is a rare option for couples as the requirements are very strict. To qualify for the conjugal partner sponsorship, you need to not qualify for the other categories due to circumstances that are not in your control. For example, you will need to prove that there is a threat to the life of the partner who is intending to move to Canada due to reasons in their own country such as cultural or social restrictions, persecution or poor treatment by law enforcement.

The program is specifically designed for emergency situations like those listed above rather than less serious reasons such as no money or families not approving of the future marriage.

Visitor Visa

If you find that you don’t meet the requirements for the options listed above, it is an option to apply for a tourist visa. This will allow your fiancé to visit you in Canada for up to 6 months, with the possibility of an extension through a visitor record. This may help with gathering evidence for a later common-law partner stream application.

International Experience Canada

One option for citizens of some countries is to obtain an International Experience Visa (IEC) this visa allows you to work and live in Canada for 2 years. Check if your country is listed as having an agreement with Canada for the IEC visa here. If it is not, you may be able to apply through a designated organization.

For more information please check out our blog "Ask Annie" at or contact us via our site to book a consultation.


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

32 views0 comments


bottom of page