top of page

New Public Policy Entry into Canada for Short-Term Work

Changes to the National Occupational Classification–What You Need To Know

Want to work in Canada? Good News! This new policy has made it very easy to work short-term in Canada, and we are here to tell you all about it.

New developments are being made by the Canadian government to make it easier for foreign workers to come and work in Canada. This is evident from their new policy allowing foreign workers to be exempt from some regulations required to work in Canada for short durations.

However certain requirements need to be met for you to take full advantage of this opportunity. So read on to find out what the criteria for this policy are and which regulations you can get an exemption from.

What is the Public Policy Facilitating Entry into Canada for Short-Term Work?

The new public policy granting concession in regulation allows foreign nationals to work in Canada while still minimizing the impact they have on the labor market. This will help Canada improve its economic activity in the long run. This policy is also aimed at specialized researchers who can come and do their research in Canadian institutes.

This policy grants exemption from certain Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. The workers and researchers can only take advantage of this policy for 15, 30, or 120 days depending on what their field of work is.

Which Regulations Does This New Policy Grant Exemption from?

This new policy grants exemption from two regulations of the “Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.” The first exemption is from Section 183(1)(b), which states that temporary residents cannot work unless they are authorized by part 9 or part 11 of the Regulations.

The second exemption is from Section 196, which requires a foreign worker to be authorized by a work permit or the Regulations if they want to work in Canada. These two exemptions make it very easy to work short-term in Canada as it removes administrative and financial barriers for Canadian employers.

What are the Criteria of This New Policy?

For a foreign national to be qualified to take advantage of this new policy, they need to meet some requirements. First of all, the foreign national must intend to work in an occupation that is listed in the National Occupation Classification’s TEER category 0 or 1. If the worker qualifies for this, they can choose to work for 15 days or 30 days in Canada.

They must also not have been granted an exemption under this policy for the last six months if they intend to work for 15 days. If they intend to work for 30 days, on the other hand, they must not have been granted an exemption under this policy for the last twelve months.

The criteria for researchers who want to work for longer are a bit different. They must have received an offer to do research work at a publicly funded degree-granting institution in Canada. An offer from an affiliated research institution is also viable. Additionally, the researcher needs to have significant value to contribute to the research project.

Such a researcher can do research work in Canada for 120 days as long as they have not been granted exemptions under this public policy in the last 12 months. Also, the researcher will be required to produce a written confirmation from the institute which has offered them to partake in the research project when entering Canada.

Final Thoughts

This new public policy by the Canadian government is the right step towards making foreign workers more welcome in Canada. Not only does it improve the economic activity of the nation, but it also results in little impact on the labor market.

Also, it is a great way to boost the capabilities of Canadian research institutes. Since this public policy took effect on November 16, 2022, we can expect more and more foreign workers to look towards Canada for short-term employment.

If you are seeking more information we recommend you book a consultation so that we can discuss your specific situation.

Immigration Station Canada will work with you and guide you through the best process to achieve your goals, wherever they lead!


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the contact form.

How Can We Help? We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications. Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

29 views0 comments


bottom of page