top of page

Sibling Sponsorship

Updated: Jan 6, 2021

Can I sponsor my sibling under the family class?

Are you a Canadian permanent resident or citizen who wants to sponsor a brother or sister to Canada?

Although there are many family sponsorship programs, this particular area of family sponsorship is a niche with very specific requirements. Generally speaking, sibling sponsorship may only occur under two circumstances.

They are:

  1. Orphaned Sibling

  2. "Lonely Canadian"

Orphaned Sibling - You can sponsor an orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece or grandchild only if they meet the following conditions:

  • They are related to you by blood or adoption

  • Both their mother and father have passed away

  • They are under the age of 18

  • They are single (not married or in a common-law relationship)

You can't sponsor your brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild if:

  • One of their parents is still alive

  • no one knows where their parents are

  • their parents abandoned them

  • someone else other than their parents are taking care of them while one or both of their parents are still alive

  • Their parent is in jail or otherwise detained

"Lonely Canadian" - this is not the title of any actual class of immigration but is the lay term used for this type of sponsorship which allows a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with no living relative in Canada to sponsor one family member to live with them.

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

-you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don't have a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:

  • spouse

  • common-law partner

  • conjugal partner

  • son or daughter

  • parent

  • grandparent

  • orphaned brother or sister

  • orphaned nephew or niece

  • orphaned grandchild

The following is vital to this type of application. Normally it is not possible to sponsor a sibling but there is an exception that occurs if you meet the following requirement.

  • you (the potential sponsor) don’t have any relatives (aunt or uncle or any of the relatives listed above), who is a:

    • Canadian citizen

    • permanent resident

    • registered Indian under the Indian Act

Also, if the relative you want to sponsor has a spouse, partner, or dependent children who will come with them to Canada, you must include them on the same sponsorship application.

Sponsorship is a long and involved application that must be prepared thoroughly in order to satisfy the officer that you meet the eligibility requirements of the stream. If you require assistance with this niche type of sponsorship, please contact us at to book an appointment.


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with an expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.


bottom of page