top of page

Proving You will Leave Canada...

Updated: Jan 6, 2021

at the end of your temporary stay.

How do I prove my ties to my home country (country of citizenship or residence)?

Important tips included

Demonstrating your ties to your home country (country of citizenship or residence) is very important if you want to obtain a temporary resident visa to Canada. Ties to your home country show the immigration officer that you have something to go back to at the end of your stay in Canada and that you are likely to leave prior to the expiration of your valid status in Canada. Typically a positive travel history, family members, property, or a job are used to demonstrate this area of a visa application.

A positive travel history means that you have traveled to another country, or several other countries, and have returned to your country of residence or citizenship prior to the expiration of your valid status in the country that you visited.

Below is a list that demonstrates what you can include in your application for Temporary Resident Status to demonstrate ties to your country of residence or citizenship:

1. Employment/Career

  • Leave of Absence Letter from Your Employer

  • Pay Stubs

2. Property Ownership

  • Deed to Land

  • Mortgage

3. Investments - Statements for the following:

  • Financial Investments

  • Savings

  • Investments in Business

4. Spouse and Children

  • Birth Certificates

  • Marriage Certificate

5. Other Family Ties

  • Parents

  • Siblings

  • Cousins

Demonstrate these ties through birth certificates and/or affidavits.

6. Business

  • Ownership Papers

  • Incorporation Documents

  • Taxes

  • Business Structure Documents

7. Membership and Involvement

  • Letters from Community Organizations

8. Strong Passport

  • Does your home country have a strong passport?

  • Is there no reason to want to leave your home permanently?

9. Past Travel History

  • Evidence of travel to other countries and a return to your home country

These are good examples of things that may be used as ties to your home country (country of citizenship or country of residence). If you need assistance with your application, or have had a refusal on this basis, please contact us at for a consultation.

#tiestohomecountry #proofofties #immigrationtocanada #immigrationstationcanada


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with an expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

10,883 views0 comments
bottom of page