top of page

Q. I want to come to Canada to study. Can I do that? Question submitted by Amandeep K.

A study permit can be an excellent and rewarding way to come to Canada for people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

A study permit is issued to allow you to study at designated learning institutions across Canada. Designated learning institutions are a list of schools that are approved by the provincial/territorial government to host international students.

All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions. They aren’t included in the list. For post-secondary education, you must check the list to confirm designation. Once you have selected the approved school, you must apply to your desired program and receive an acceptance letter from the institution. This should be completed before traveling to Canada.

In the event you are conditionally accepted, you will need to take prerequisite courses. For example, these might be English or French as second language courses. You must complete these prerequisite courses before you can start your main study program. If this is the case, you will be issued your study permit for the length of those courses plus 1 year. After you’ve completed those courses successfully and you’re accepted into your main program, you’ll need to apply for a new student permit to extend your stay as a student.

Am I eligible for a study permit?

You are eligible to come to Canada to study if you:

  • Are enrolled at a designated learning institution and have proof of acceptance.

  • Provide evidence that you can financially take care of your tuition fees, living expenses, and two-way travel costs. The minimum amount required is $10,000.00, not including tuition costs for each year of your studies.

  • You have a clean criminal record and can provide a police certificate.

  • You are in good health and can submit to a medical exam.

  • Provide proof that you have strong ties to your home country and will leave Canada once your study permit expires.

Please remember that a study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If your study permit is approved, you’ll be issued one with your study permit.

I was approved! What now?

Once you have obtained your study permit, there are further responsibilities you have during your time in Canada. You must be making continued progress at completing your program – acceptance is only the first step. You also need to respect any conditions you have on your permit. Conditions can be regulations on your ability to work in Canada during your studies; to travel within Canada while you are here; to ensure that you leave Canada by the date given by your permit, and to attend your designated learning institution listed on your permit. Following the rules and regulations of your permit is the best way to have a successful time studying in Canada.

How long is my permit valid?

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days lets you either prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

The amount of time you can stay in Canada after you’ve completed your studies depends on whether:

  • you’re taking prerequisite courses

  • your study permit will expire before you finish your studies

  • you’ll finish your studies before your study permit expires

I really have fallen in love with Canada, can I stay after I graduate?

Once you graduate from your program, you may be able to work and live temporarily in Canada. To work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit. The work experience you gain may help you qualify for permanent residence.

Immigration Station Canada will work with you and guide you through the best process to achieve your goals, wherever they lead!


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the contact form.

How Can We Help? We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications. Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page