top of page

FSWP draws are starting in July - How can I be ready?

Q. submitted by B. Tran

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) made its debut in Canadian immigration over 50 years ago as the main way Canada has welcomed experience and skill from across the world.

However, the ability to use this program was suspended due to Covid in 2020. July 2022 marks the resumption of Express Entry invitation draws and we want you to be ready for this opportunity!

How do the draws work?

If you’re eligible for one or more of the Express Entry programs and submit your profile, you’ll be ranked in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

The CRS is a points-based system the IRCC uses to assess and score your profile and rank it in the Express Entry pool. Once you’re in the Express Entry pool, they use a different system to rank your profile. The highest-ranking candidates from the pool are then invited to apply for permanent residence. You cannot apply directly to the Federal Skilled Worker Program unless you are issued an "invitation to apply."

How do I know if I'm eligible to apply?

Express Entry is an online system that the IRCC uses to manage immigration applications from skilled workers. To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must:

  1. Have skilled work experience

Skilled work experience means that you’ve worked in 1 of these job groups:

  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)

  • Professional jobs (skill level A)

  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

Your skilled work experience must be

  • in the same type of job as the job you want to use for your immigration application

  • within the last 10 years

  • paid work (have been paid wages or earned commission—volunteer work or unpaid internships don’t count)

  • at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)

2. Have English/French language ability

  • take approved language tests in English or French for:

    • writing

    • reading

    • listening

    • speaking

  • get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark 7 in all 4 abilities

3. Have the required Education

If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school) or

  • post-secondary institution

If you have foreign education, you must have:

  • a completed credential, and

  • an Educational Credential Assessment for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school) or

  • post-secondary institution

Additional to these minimum requirements, other factors such as age, whether you have a valid job offer, and adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here). You also must show proof of funds and be admissible to Canada. These factors are used to assess your eligibility and assign points to your attributes that will aid in your selection.

What documents will I need during this process?

Different documents will be required depending on each individual applicant, but you should expect to need at least a few of the following:

  • police certificates

  • medical exams

  • proof of funds

  • birth certificate

  • use of a representative form

  • common-law union form

  • marriage certificate

  • divorce certificate and legal separation agreement

  • death certificate (required if you’ve declared your marital status as “widowed”)

  • adoption certificate (required when a dependent child is listed as “adopted”)

  • digital photos to confirm your identity

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is an excellent way to use your experience and skill and immigrate to Canada.

Immigration Station Canada will work with you and guide you through the best process to achieve your goals, wherever they lead!


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the contact form.

How Can We Help? We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications. Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

11 views0 comments