top of page

Q. How Can I Extend My Stay in Canada?

Question Submitted by Surbhi


I am looking for assistance. I am here in Canada on a visitor visa and my 6 month stay period in Canada is expiring soon. I want to extend my stay for 60 days. Is this possible? A. Thank you for your question, Surbhi!

In fact, it may be possible for you to stay an additional 60 days but you must obtain permission from IRCC by applying for a document called a visitor record.

What is a Visitor Record?

A visitor record is a document that a border services officer may issue to you to extend or restrict your stay in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada for more than 6 months, you have to tell the border services officer.

You may also get a visitor record after IRCC approves your application to extend your stay or restore your status. A visitor record is issued either by the Canada Border Services Agency or Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

  • You need to apply for a visitor record when:

    • you first arrive at the port of entry and you know you want to stay longer than 6 months; or

    • you’re in Canada and decide you want to stay longer.

      • You must apply at least 30 days before your authorized stay in Canada expires.

Additional notes about visitor records

  • It’s an independent document (not placed in your passport).

  • It includes an expiry date for your stay in Canada.

    • That’s the date by which you must leave Canada.

Maintained Status

If you are already in Canada you should apply online, prior to the expiry of your valid status, for a vistor record. Often you will not receive a decision until your extended stay is ending. As long as you apply prior to your previous permit expiring you will have maintained status which means you may remain in Canada while a decision is being made on your visitor record application.

Keep in mind that if you receive a negative decision on your extension request then you must leave Canada.

If you would like a professional assessment of your individual situation please contact us at


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the contact form.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

253 views0 comments