top of page

Renew your PR Card

Updated: Jan 5, 2021

Permanent Residents of Canada must have a valid PR card in order to enter Canada via commercial carrier including plane, bus, train, or boat. Those who do not possess a valid PR card will not be allowed to travel via these means and will have to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD).

You may enter Canada without a valid PR card via the land border in a private vehicle or at an airport via a private plane. However, this is not a recommended course of action as failure to present a valid PR card may result in a negative decision regarding your entry. Keep in mind that the final decision is always up to the officer on duty and a negative decision may influence future decisions.

What are the requirements to renew my PR card? To renew your PR card, you must be a permanent resident of Canada and meet the

residency requirement of having spent at least 730 days out of the last 5 years inside Canada,  or meet one of the following exceptions:

1. You work outside Canada, full-time for a Canadian business or organization, or

the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government.

2. You travel with a spouse or common-law partner who is a Canadian citizen, or

a permanent resident working outside Canada, full-time for a Canadian business, or

the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government.

3. You’re a dependent child and travel with your parent who is a Canadian citizen, or

a permanent resident working outside Canada, full-time for a Canadian business or

the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government.

Exceptional Circumstances In Which You May Still Obtain a PR Card:

1. You do not currently have, or have ever had a PR card.

You do not currently have or have ever had a PR card to apply to get your first card. However, you must have a valid passport to renew your PR card.

2. You do not have a valid passport.

You must have a valid passport to apply for a PR card. If you do not have a valid passport, and it is not possible for you to obtain one, we may be able to help.

3. You require a PR card urgently - Urgent Processing

We are able to provide an urgent processing service where the application is filed within 48 hours. However, there are situations where you may also qualify for urgent government processing of your submitted application.

The government is very strict regarding acceptable reasons for urgent processing of a PR card. These may include but are not limited to:

  • Severe illness or death of a relative outside Canada

  • Requirement to prove PR status for work

  • Requirement to travel outside Canada for work

4. You are outside of Canada.

If you live outside Canada full-time, you may still meet the requirements to maintain your PR status or be able to apply to maintain your PR status on the basis of Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds. 

Renewal from Outside Canada If you meet one of the exemptions to the residence requirement, you may renew your PR card from outside Canada. Exemptions include:

  • Living outside Canada with a Canadian spouse

  • Working full -time, outside of Canada for a Canadian company

Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds

H&C may be used for a PR card renewal application under certain circumstances that were beyond the applicant’s control such as:

  • Severe injury or illness outside Canada

  • Severe injury, illness, or death of a close family member outside Canada

  • Caring for a relative or de facto relative outside Canada who is a minor child or who is unable to care for themselves

Unless a negative residency determination has been made regarding your PR status, you may submit an application to renew a PR card under H&C grounds no matter how long your PR card has been expired.

If you believe you may meet the requirements to renew your PR card under H&C grounds, please book an appointment with us to discuss your individual situation.


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with an expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

89 views0 comments


bottom of page