top of page

What You Need to Know Before you Enter Canada as a Temporary Foreign Worker

It is best to be prepared before you enter Canada as a temporary foreign worker. There are documents to print and health insurance to worry about. Fortunately, the Canadian government has made it much easier for foreign workers to enter Canada. In this brief, we will tell you about all the things you should know before entering Canada as a foreign worker.

What Documents Do You Need?

Preparing your documents is vital for having a smooth entry into Canada as a foreign worker. You need to have your passport and all other travel documents on your person so you can show them to the border service officers when needed. If you are from a visa-required country, you also need to have your visitor visa alongside your passport.

Additionally, as a foreign worker, you will need to show proof that your work permit application has been approved. This proof can be a letter of introduction you have received your passport request. It will be issued via your application portal. You can print out your letter of introduction or simply bring its electronic copy on your phone.

Another supporting document you may need for entry into Canada as a temporary foreign worker is proof that you meet the work requirements for the job. Additionally, you may also need a copy of the positive LMIA of your employer and your employment contract. The employment number that your employer got may also be required.

What to Expect When You Arrive in Canada?

There are a few steps you will need to go through before and during your entry into Canada. These steps are:

Identity Check

Your identity will be checked during your entry to ensure that you are the person who has been approved to work in Canada. Your fingerprints will be matched to ensure this. Also, your information may be checked against the application you submitted.

Talk With the Border Services Officer

You will need to talk with the border service officers during entry. The officer will check your documents once you tell them that you are seeking entry to temporarily work in Canada. Keep in mind that any false or incomplete information in your documents will result in your entry being stopped.

Your officer may check whether you meet Canada’s entry requirements or not. You will also need to convince them that you intend to leave Canada once your stay is over. Your medical exam results will be checked at this point. So make sure that your medical exam has not expired.

Get Your Work Permit

Once all your documents have been checked, and your entry has been confirmed, the border services officer will print out a work permit for you. The work permit you get will not be valid for longer than the expiry date of your passport. So ensure that your passport is valid for longer than your employment contract. Also, check your permit carefully. If there is any mistake on your permit or you have any questions, you should talk with the border service officer about it before you leave.

Final Thoughts

It is important to do your research as a temporary foreign worker if you want a smooth entry into Canada. Make sure to have all your required documents ready and check for any errors in the work permit you get. You should also keep your medical and health expenses in mind. You will be eligible for provincial health benefits in Canada but need to consult the provincial body responsible for healthcare to know the individual requirements.

If you are seeking more information we recommend you book a consultation so that we can discuss your specific situation.

Immigration Station Canada will work with you and guide you through the best process to achieve your goals, wherever they lead!


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford, St. Catharines, and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth-generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the contact form.

How Can We Help? We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications. Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

33 views0 comments