top of page

Who needs an eTA?

Updated: Jan 5, 2021

A big question for many is, do I need an Electronic Travel Authorization?

You need an eTA if you are travelling to Canada by air from a visa-exempt

country. A full list of visa-exempt countries is available here.

The following are exempt from requiring an eTA:

  • Those who have already obtained a valid visa to enter Canada.

  • Anyone entering by land or sea.

  • Armed Forces visiting Canada on official duty.

  • Students who have a valid Canadian study permit dated on or after August 1, 2015.

  • Flight crew, civil aviation inspectors, accident investigators.

  • Temporary Foreign Workers who have a valid Canadian work permit date on or after August 1, 2015.

  • French citizens who live in and are travelling from St. Pierre and Miquelon.

  • Persons entering from the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon, while holding valid status in Canada.

  • Accredited diplomats.

  • Canadian citizens and dual citizens (provided you are travelling on a Canadian passport)

  • Canadian permanent residents (you need your PR card or point of entry documentation)

  • US citizens (US permanent residents, or green card holders, DO require an eTA when travelling by air)

If you have questions about the eTA process, please book a consultation here.


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with an expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page