top of page

How long is my COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) Valid?

Updated: Jan 5, 2021

If your application for permanent residence in Canada is approved, you will be mailed a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). Some of you will also receive a permanent resident visa, if you're from a country that requires a visa, so that you may enter Canada.

Your COPR will have information about who you are, as well as your photograph. We recommend that you first ensure that the information is correct. It should be the same as the information on your passport. If there is a mistake on your COPR, you should contact Canada through your online account so that they may make the necessary changes.

Typically, a COPR is valid for a year from your application approval. However, this varies in some circumstances so be aware of this date. A COPR can not be extended, except under unusual circumstances such as COVID-19 during which a public policy has been created to handle these situations. You should plan to use your COPR before it expires.

If you’re already in Canada when you receive your COPR: The government will contact you and let you know what to do next. You’ll need to have a short interview with an officer. You have two options for your interview. To do this, you may 1. Make an appointment at one of the offices in Canada (best option) or 2. Go to a Canadian “port of entry” (border crossing), and present:

  • proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family

  • your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if we gave you one)

The interview process is used to verify and validate information. During the interview the officer will:

  • make sure all your documents are valid

  • ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada

  • confirm your Canadian mailing address, so we can mail your permanent resident card (PR card)

If you change your address within 6 months (180 days) of getting your status, you must update this information with the government.

If you’re outside Canada when you receive your COPR: You will need to come to Canada to complete your PR process and to receive your PR card. Keep in mind that you may not enter Canada for this purpose during COVID-19 because it is not deemed essential travel. Wait for further instructions, even if your COPR is expiring. You will be issued an extension once the border opens.

In the meantime, there are many things you can do to prepare for life in Canada: We recommend:

Seeking work

Planning where you will live and where your children will attend school

Taking advantage of settlement services

Becoming informed about the community in which you will live

When you arrive in Canada:

As of November 1, 2020, you must use ArriveCAN before checking in at the airport or crossing the border to submit your travel and contact information, and to become informed about COVID-19 symptom self-assessment.

Bring your ArriveCAN receipt (electronic or paper) with you to show the border services officer upon arrival.

You must also have your valid passport and/or travel documents, and your passport must be a regular, private citizen passport because you can’t immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service, or public affairs passport.

In addition to your passport you should have your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa (if you required one for the country from which you arrived) and proof that you have the funds to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada.

When you arrive in Canada, you’ll meet an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The officer will complete a final check of information before issuing a Permanent Residence Card.

  • They will make sure you’re entering Canada before or on the expiry date shown on your COPR

  • They will make sure that you are the same person who was approved to travel to Canada

  • They will ask to see your passport and other travel documents

  • They may ask you a few questions to make sure you still meet the terms to immigrate to Canada

Disclosure of Funds and Imports If you arrive in Canada with more than CAN$10,000, you must tell this to the CBSA officer. If you don’t tell them, you could be fined, and your funds could be seized. Before you travel to Canada, it is a good idea to verify what you can and can't bring to Canada. For example, some foods and other products may be prohibited. It is up to you to learn about these things.

To help speed up your entry to Canada, keep your passport and other documents with you at all times. We recommend that you don't pack them where they will be difficult to access. You will not be admitted to Canada in this final step if you:

  • give false or incomplete information

  • don’t convince the officer that you meet the conditions to enter Canada

If you’re admissible and there are no problems when you arrive, the officer will:

  • allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident

  • confirm your Canadian mailing address where your permanent resident card will be mailed within 30-45 days

If you require more information about your COPR or Permanent Resident Card please contact us for a one-to-one consultation.


About Us

Immigration Station Canada is a dedicated, professional Canadian Immigration firm practicing out of Northumberland County, just east of Toronto, in Canada. We serve clients from Kingston, Belleville, Brighton, Cobourg, Oshawa, the GTA, Guelph, Milton, Stratford and St. Catharines and around the world. Our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, Anne C. McCaughey (Annie) is an experienced immigration services provider and a fifth generation Canadian who values the immigration process and the unique individuals who immigrate to Canada to become part of the fabric of this wonderful country. If you would like to submit a question to Ask Annie, use the link located at the top right of the page.

How Can We Help?

We do work permits, study permits, visitor visas, Express Entry, spousal sponsorship, family class sponsorship, and Canadian citizenship with an expertise in Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications and Global Talent Stream applications.

Please contact us if you would like assistance with your immigration application or to book an appointment.

24,088 views3 comments


Pratik Birla
Pratik Birla
Mar 21, 2023

Hello -

I recevied a CoPR which was only valid for 2 months. I was unable to travel during that time outside of US due to travel restrictions associated with my US immigrant visa. During that time I tried contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada authorities through web form multiple times but I did not receive any response. Can you please let me know what course of action I can take now?


A Ray Of Sunshine
A Ray Of Sunshine
Feb 04, 2023

I have a question, I received CoPR for me and for my family members on 9th september-2022 and my land by date is 08th May-2023. My dependent child passport expiry date is also 8th May 2023. I plan to do my first landing by end of March-2023 due unavoidable circumstance of his academic year completion.

Can he travel to Canada with one-month validity passport and visa? and get it renewed in Canada once after arrival.

Replying to

Hi A Ray of Sunshine: I recommend you send an email to Thank you so much for reaching out!


bottom of page